Saturday 18 September 2010

Butterflies wanted, can you help????.

When I was doing a bit of blog hopping I happened across Trudi's blog and she neds some help for a project that has touched her.
The Holocaust Museum in Houston is wanting 1,500,00 butterflies for an exhibition to start in Spring 2013, to serve as memory to the 1,500,000 innocent children who perished in the Holocaust.(One butterfly for every child that perished)
The reason that the butterfly has been chosen as a symbol is because of the following poem:-


Saw Another Butterfly
The last, the very last,
So richly, brightly, dazzlingly yellow
Perhaps if the sun’s tears would sing
against a white stone....

Such, such a yellow
Is carried lightly ’way up high.
It went away I’m sure
because it wished
to kiss the world good-bye.

For seven weeks I’ve lived in here
Penned up inside this ghetto.
But I have found what I love here.
The dandelions call to me
And the white chestnut branches in the court.


Only I never saw another butterfly.
That butterfly was the last one.
Butterflies don’t live in here, in the ghetto.

Written by Pavel Friedman, June 4, 1942
Born in Prague on Jan. 7, 1921.
Deported to the Terezin Concentration Camp on April 26, 1942.
Died in Aushchwitz on Sept. 29, 1944.
He was just 23 years young!!!
Trudi would like to send a box full of butterflies to the museum.
If you too want to help, all you need to do is make a butterfly and post it to Trudi at
Two Dresses Studio
1554-20 Avenue South
Lethbridge
AB T1K1E9
Canada
OR
you can send it straight to the Holocaust Museum Houston.
The butterfly should be no bigger than 8''x10'' and 2d. For all the info click on the badge in my sidebar.

1 comment:

Gina said...

What a lovely sounding project. It looks like you had a fabulous day with Lynda.