Tuesday 1 September 2009

Dye experiment number 2

I have finished making my new caterpillar number line and my bags are packed ready for tomorrow. My first staff meeting is at 9.00am- Child protection, followed by at least three more that will take up most of the day-deep joy!!!!!! This was a piece of calico I stitched while at my mothers in a shibori pattern. I was going to dye it a traditional blue BUT, I wanted to have another go with natural dyes, this time using turmeric.(No mordant used)
I used 2 teaspoons of turmeric in a little bit of water to make a 'sauce', (same as making custard.) I added it to, two pints of cold water. Added fabric and threads, bought it to the boil, simmered for 5 minutes. Left it to 'cure' for 6 hours and then rinsed out.

The colours remind me of the Harrie Krishna's that I used to see everyday in the early 70's when I worked in Debenham and Freebody in Wigmore Street.


The fabrics used top to bottom:-
gauze
pre-felt
muslin
calico
srim and the threads again, top to bottom
linen
cotton
viscose ribbon.
And here is my Shibori, I now want to stitch another pattern when I go to my Mother's in October.

5 comments:

Linda B. said...

You commented on my lino-cutting tools, but i couldn't reply via your blog comment so here I am! I understand that this course will run again, as demand is quite high. Go for it - it's interesting to see how others interpret the exercises, as well as doing them yourself!

stitching and opinions said...

ooooh I like that tumeric dye, I am going to have a go at that, so good to find something to use that is already in the cupboard.

Seeking Artemis said...

That was a lot of stitching in the shabori, but looks as though it was well worth while! I hope you post a photo when you've used it. I love the colour, I'm really into dyeing my own fabrics at the moment.

Miriam Weaver said...

The above comment was from me, I forgot to sign out of my other blog sorry! This is so confusing.

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

I thought I'd already commented on this one. I was admiring the wonderful colour that you achieved Sharne. I am going to give it a go too!

Carolyn