Tuesday 7 February 2012

Tag Tuesday-Hearts.

This weeks title gave me the chance to complete a UFO.  Last summer I had been thinking about basing some work on the poet Shelley, who drowned in a lake in Italy.  I had started making a milagros (an Italian charm that would have been bought to ask for a special blessing for the person represented on the milagros)
To make my milagros:_
I cut and embossed a metal heart and then soaked it in vinegar to rust it. The background heart was cut from 2 pieces of felt, that I then stitched layers of lace and pearls ( to represent tears) around. The words on the heart are taken from Shelley's headstone on his grave in Rome, which I typed up on the computer and printed onto vellum. This was then machine stitched to a tea dyed piece of tape. Metal heart and words were attached to the felt heart with 2 brads. Dangles at the bottom include another bit of my Grandmothers jet as well as some beads I had had in my box for ages and yet more pearls. This was then stitched to a card tag covered with part of the poem Adonais, he wrote when his friend Keats died.( these words are also on a memorial to him in the Old Priory Church, Christchurch, Dorset)

1 comment:

Diane Kelsey said...

Such a lovely tag, with some fab techniques. too bust at the moments to make this weeks tag, hopefully I will post it before next week.