Sunday 28 September 2008

Where's all the fabric?

One thing I forgot to mention yesterday, was that Nickie and I popped into John Lewis. I used to work in Oxford Street and Wigmore Street and was often in this shop, drooling over the fabric and haberdashery bits. I bought the fabric for my wedding dress and my bridesmaids dresses here as well. Time to re-visit we thought. The fabric dept used to be on the ground floor and it was huge, now it is on the 4th floor and if you blink you would miss it! A sign of the times? I know my daughter who is in her 3rd year of Secondary school has not had a textile lesson in this time. The school where I work doesn't have a textile room, Art and textiles are a joint subject. Art being the predominant one! Sorry I will get off my soap box!!!!

2 comments:

Gina said...

Actually working with two groups of year 10 textile students tomorrow so it's still going on in some schools. I had intended to visit the 4 x 4 exhibition yesterday too but ended up staying home due to this virus I seem to have picked up. Disappointed to have missed it.

Craft Arena said...

I've had some local textile teachers in the studio - one spent the day with me learning techniques to take back to her students and others have shown great enthusiasm. Little gems in the sea of mediocracy methinks!