Tuesday, 4 August 2009

Rust dyeing samples

Popped to Craft Arena at Barleylands, to get Q.A's and some thread. While talking to Dean Smith (this is where Kezzy goes for her art lessons) I found out that he was the local artist who helped the children at my school in Activities week make the shark out of paper. Lots of photos follow of my rust dyed fabric.
This is a piece of my own dyed fabric that has had wire wool tied into it with wire, and also I did some stitching with wire and pulled it up to form pleats.
Opened out and washed


These samples are wire wool and salt solution.
Cream calico

Evalon
White calico
My own dyed fabric, not much rust on this sample.

White calico
Scrim, though scrim was used in every batch of samples, this was the only piece of scrim that didn't end up looking like a very dirty floorcloth!

The following samples were with vinegar solution and wire wool.
Cream calico Evalon
White calico
Own dyed fabric
White calico
These samples were made with wire wool, salt solution and tea.
Cream calico Evalon
White calico

Own dyed fabric

White calico
These samples were soaked in vinegar solution and tea with wire wool.
Cream calico Evalon
White calico

Own dyed fabric
Calico Samples using different bits of metal.
This 'axe' I got from the Caretakers at school when I was on the hunt for things that were rusty, the top fabric was folded over the fabric sandwich too obtain a ghost image. Salt solution was used.

Metal objects stitched and pinned to fabric ala Gwen Hedley, in a salt solution.
All the photos were taken while the fabric was wet, not too keen on the rust smell when I opened all the different bags, but it is worth it to get such interesting marks on the fabric. the axe and the pins and washer samples dried out while I was away as they weren't in a bag, just wrapped in parchment, could have been rustier still. Just got to decide what to do with all the samples now.

3 comments:

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Sharne, these samples are stunningly gorgeous! I love each and every one. It is useful to see the fabrics you have used and explanation of what you did to them. WOW! I love love love them all! Thank you for sharing them

Carolyn

chillsider said...

Yes thanks for sharing, they are great.
When I rust dyed I used salt and vinegar together, desperate to get a result. I have a childs sprung mattress that i want to get the circle shapes from but it is stubborn, I guess it needs a big plastic bag, plus to be cut smaller...............somehow I will get those rings.

jenny said...

wow, i am just attempting some wire wool dying inspired by a friend who suggested it, i just googled it to see if there were any tip and i love the work youve produced1 wonderful stuff, i hadn't thought of salt solution so i will try that as well! i will have a good look through the rest of you blog as well, great stuff x jenny