Wednesday 27 February 2013

To dye?

 This is one of the five vessels I made for the Diversity exhibition.  100% cotton wrapped round cord and machine stitched. I use cotton fabric so that I can have the option of dyeing it if I want.  This vessel was dyed using Procion dyes.  The embellishment was inspired by my brothers wallpaper, re-drawn and manipulated to make a stitchable design.  I started this vessel last week when I didn't have all my 'get up and go' and finisied stitching it last night.  Decision as to whether I shall dye or paint it depends on how long it takes to complete the piece of hand stitching I have been doing.

 
 


 
I bought this peacock Indian woodblock at the FOQ in August.  I have printed it onto 100% cotton and I am gradually hand stitching it.  I have been trying to find out how to do chemanthy stitch and found a site showing me, now found out there is two versions of the same stitch or so it seems.  I shall now be doing a bit of reverse stitching and doing the version I prefer.
I will be dyeing this piece eventually, bit can I wait that long to colour the vessel, not sure yet.

4 comments:

DVArtist said...

Wow very impressive. A wonderful medium.
Nicole/Beadwright

Jill said...

Love the look of your vessel and I had never heard of chemanthi stitch, it is always good to learn something new.

Lin said...

Love your handstiching Sharne - so good to see when there is so much machine work around. I love dying too - have fun!

Iz said...

I quite like the white bowl as it is! If you dye it, will you just soak it in procion?