Saturday 23 February 2013

Diversity exhibition-part 3. Peacock Angel.

 My Peacock  Angel is the 9th and final piece I made for our exhibition.  While doing my research on peacocks, I came across a  Kurdish religion called Melek Taus. They believe in God creating the world and then leaving it up to seven heavenly bodies to look after it.  The chief Angel was the Peacock Angel, and I used artistic licence when I created her, as she, should have been a he.  Anyway, the long and the short of it is, that he was given the Cosmic Egg, and the Cosmos was hatched.
 l
 I had lots of fun creating her clothes.  Her coat had 'peacock 'tail' feathers attached similar in idea to a gents tails coat, which have been machine stitched and then beads and sequins to embellish.
 Her 'bra' top is lots more sequins and beads, and the necklace is a piece of an earring.
Her cosmic egg was made by pasting scrim around an egg mould and cutting it off when dry.  She stands on a base which lights up to represent the Comos.

1 comment:

Lin said...

Another beautiful piece of work Sharne, thank you so much for sharing it. I really do miss being able to get to exhibitions.