Sunday 19 March 2017

March fairy and more.

Here she is, as mentioned in my last post, Daffodil Fairy :-
She is made with 30%wool and 70% rayon which I get from Craft Arena, the nicest wool mix felt I have found.  Her wings are made from tissue paper, painted and glittered.


For the last 18 months, I have been working on and off on Captain Sparrow (Johnny Depp's character,) and with another doll workshop with Ray Slater fast approaching, it was time to finish him.  On Wednesday night, late, I thought I had, and showing the 'finished' doll to my husband, he said, 'shouldn't he have a cutlass?' and  after a bit of research, yes, he should!!!!!!
 The basic doll pattern is one of Ray Slater's, but for his costume, I found a really good website for men who want to dress like Johnny Depp's character.  It tells you how to make the wig, where the holes should appear on his garments and more.  It has been a wonderful mine of information for me. Hence the picture above,  then having the hair removed as not correct, and a trip to London to get the dreadlocks.
 I have enjoyed scouring the shops trying to find the various bits that I could adapt to make his rings, as near to the real thing as possible.

So this is where it stopped for quite a long while - last summer to be exact, before being put aside again.

There is a guide on the website I found that tells you exactly what beads and charms to put in his hair, but depends on which film as to what beads and talismans he has.  This required me to make a ships sail needle out of paper clay, and painted with Powertex to make it strong.
So here he is now, just waiting for the final items to be made.  My husband made me the cutlass from white plastic which you can see and the scabbard from card.
 I have had to apply several coats of paints in various colour's before attacking them with sandpaper to make them distressed as per the film.
Now all I have left to do  is make the baldric sword belt and frog!  Hope to be back later on in the week with my finished doll.


Now

3 comments:

Diane Kelsey said...

Your dolls are always amazing, the details of all the accessories are on another level. Best dill yet!

Gina said...

Love your Jack Sparrow doll. Fabulous!

Lin said...

Incredible! I love him. xx